- When tying knots ensure to use plenty of lubricant (either saliva or water to ensure you can set the knot easily and effectively.
- Always test you knot before you cast your line out.
- Regularly check for signs of damage or abrasion these cause weaknesses in the fishing line and might make you lose that big one.
- Never store fishing line in direct sunlight , this greatly reduces its life and strength as the U.V light breaks down the materials and reduces the breaking strain of the fishing line.
- Use the lightest diameter you possibly can for the area keeping in mind the largest species you may encounter. This will ensure you don’t “spook” any fish you are trying to attract.
- Always wash your line and rod with fresh water after every time you fish to remove any corrosive or foreign bodies. Do not use high pressure as this will drive sand and other foreign bodies into hard to reach places and into the body of your reel.